Driving in France

27 December 2013

Not only do you drive on the right in France, but all of the speed and distance signs are in kilometres.

Also worth knowing:
Your insurance should cover you third party in France, but check with your insurance company before you go and you may also want to increase your insurance cover.
Service stations often close at 6pm and on Sundays. It may be difficult to find a service station that is open 24 hours.
The french for petrol is essence, diesel is gazole.

The minimum driving age in France is 18.
You should keep all paperwork with you in the car. You must produce it if asked by the police.
If the car is not yours, you will need a letter authorising you to drive, which you will need to keep with you. This includes company cars.
You should ask your insurance company for an international declaration in case of an accident. Be careful about signing anything i french that yo don’t understand.
Your driving licence must be the new pink one - not the old green style.
You must carry a set of spare bulbs for your car.
A warning triangle is compulsory if you’re towing.
You must STOP at stop signs. You can be fined for not doing so.
All UK cars in France must display a GB sticker, which you can usually get from the ferry company.
Speeding fines are hefty and must be paid on the spot. In extreme circumstances the police can impound your car.
Always pay and display. It may be easier to park at your accommodation ands explore on foot.
Children MUST wear a seat belt. Children under the age of 10 must not sit in the front, unless in a specially adapted rear facing seat.
Breath tests are random.
Tolls can be expensive if travelling by autoroute, but worth it if you want to get there quickly.


Comments are closed.

Related Articles

    Insurance Choice - Insurance Choice : your one-stop-shop for all things insurance. Providing tailor-made services to fit breakdown cover, motorcycle insurance, travel insurance, taxi and minibus insurance, wedding insurance, pet insurance as well as non-standard house and car insurance. ........ Read more »  28 December 2013
    Child Car Seat Regulations - FAQ’s - The new laws regarding the use of child car seats from 18th September are causing some confusion. It has been reported that some parents do not fully understand what they mean. We have listed some of the questions that we are frequently asked so that you can be prepared and your children can travel safely. ........ Read more »  27 December 2008
    Avanti Travel Insurance - Avanti Travel Insurance is a specialist provider of quality, low cost travel insurance. They offer a wide range of policies to cover individual requirements. They have no upper age limit on their policies however there are limits to trip duration for certain ages. Their policies provide medical expenses cover to £10 million, cancellation cover from £5,000 and cover ........ Read more »  29 December 2013
    European Health Insurance Card and travel insurance - have you got yours? - European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) If you’re going to a European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland, you should also make sure you’ve got a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) as well as private health insurance. The card entitles you to reduced cost, sometimes free, medical treatment in most European countries. The EHIC website has more ........ Read more »  27 March 2013
    Travelling by car - Travelling with children is often a difficult. That could be seen as understatement by parents who do this regularly. Trying to concentrate on driving, map reading, giving and receiving directions is stressful enough, but couple that with your little angels in the back and you could be ready to throw in the towel and admit ........ Read more »  27 December 2013