Health Emergency Checklist

27 December 2013

Hopefully your holiday will be an enjoyable one. Should you or your child become unwell while you are away it is a good idea to know what to do before you go. We hope to give you some general guidance with our Health Emergency Checklist, so that no matter where you are travelling to you will have the appropriate information before you travel.

This checklist will help you if you need to arrange emergency medical treatment abroad.

  • You should talk to your doctor and travel agent, if you have one, for advice before you go. You can also get information from the tourist office, embassy or high commission of the country you’re visiting about getting medical treatment while you’re there.
  • Make sure you’ve got all the documents you need: your passport, your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), proof of UK residence (e.g. your driving licence or NHS card), and vaccination certificates.
  • Check your insurance policy, so you know what your insurers will pay for.
  • Contact your travel company representative if you have one.
  • Give the doctor the generic name – not just the brand name – of any medication you’re taking.
  • Tell the doctor if you’ve been to any other countries on this trip.
  • Keep the names and addresses of a few friends and relatives with your passport so they can be contacted if necessary.
  • Contact British Consular officials if you need to get back to the UK quickly. They may be able to arrange this for you – but, remember, you will have to pay.
  • If you pay for any treatment or drugs and plan to claim on your insurance or get a refund, keep all receipts, special proofs of purchase, price tags and labels.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) website has comprehensive travel advice by country, including information about UK embassies and consular offices.


Comments are closed.

Related Articles

    European Health Insurance Card and travel insurance - have you got yours? - European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) If you’re going to a European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland, you should also make sure you’ve got a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) as well as private health insurance. The card entitles you to reduced cost, sometimes free, medical treatment in most European countries. The EHIC website has more ........ Read more »  27 March 2013
    Bites & stings - Getting a bite from a mosquito or a sting from a wasp is not nice to say the least. In the UK most bites and stings are harmless, but when you are abroad you need to be aware of other insects and animals that might sting or bite. ........ Read more »  27 December 2013
    Passports - What you need to know - Adult UK passport applications. If you do not have a passport or your passport needs renewing, you should apply as early as possible. It is more expensive to fast track an application. It is strongly recommended that you do not book any travel before your new passport arrives. Applications should be processed in around three weeks from ........ Read more »  20 December 2013
    Travel vaccinations - Vaccinations As with adults, travel vaccinations for children vary depending upon the destination. However for children, they can also depend upon their age. Some vaccinations, for example the yellow fever vaccination, is not recommended for children younger than nine months old. Visit your GP, or local travel clinic, at least eight weeks before travelling, particularly if you ........ Read more »  27 December 2013
    Food & Drink - the Do’s & Dont’s - Babies and young children are vulnerable to the risk of food poisoning. Here we look at tips on preventing tummy upsets and what to do if your child does develop a tummy bug. ........ Read more »  27 December 2013